Administratively part of the province of North Maluku, it is centred on the northern part of Halmahera Island and includes numerous smaller islands.
This regency extent for about 22.507,32 Km2 which is consist of 17.555,71 Km2 (78%) marine territory and 4.951,61 Km2 (22%) land.
The population figures for North Halmahera Regency as of the year 2012 stood at 179.566.
Some 75% of the population depend on farming or fishing for their livelihood. About 90% of them belong to one of the native ethnic groups of the region: Tobelorese, Galelarese, Lolodarese, Kaonese, Pagu and Modole. The remaining 10% are immigrants, especially from Java, Sulawesi and other parts of North Maluku notably Makian Island.
North Halmahera has 50 islands which are scattered in both the Maluku Sea to the west and the Halmahera Sea to the east. Visitors to the region will find idyllic small islets, beautiful white sand beaches, rich coral reefs teeming with colorful fish and other marine life, diverse flora and fauna in our rainforests, exotic and unique cultural traditions as well as historical relics particularly from the WW II period.